Thursday, June 30, 2011

Re: [HatchedDesignForum] Question about the African designs and puckers

 

Hi Ann,

I use Fairy Frost almost exclusively for my machine embroidery quilts. I do not
pre-wash, but I do use a fabric stabilizing product, such as Mary's Best Press,
before I begin stitching. This adds body to the Fairy Frost. I also embroider
with a 90/14 Sharp needle. I only use one layer of tear-away stabilizer, which
is in the hoop. If the design is extremely dense, like maybe 50,000 stitches or
so, then I will "float" the second piece of stabilizer under the hoop.

So, what you may have done "wrong" - two layers of stabilizer may have been too
much for the HIA designs. You may have stretched your fabric too tight when you
hooped it, so when you removed the hoop, the fabric relaxed and the puckers
showed up. I have also experimented with using a cutaway stabilizer, and I find
I get fewer puckers with it, as I'm not damaging the stitches as I "tear away"
the stabilizer.

Hope these hints help, and keep experimenting until you find the combination you
like. We all have done the same and there are just as many "right" ways to do
it, as there are machine embroiderers.
 Cheryl W
douquilt@yahoo.com

________________________________
From: Ann <aharryb70@gmail.com>
To: HatchedDesignForum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, June 30, 2011 6:10:25 AM
Subject: [HatchedDesignForum] Question about the African designs and puckers

 
I am a newbie when it comes to embroidering. I embroidered the African designs
on Fairy Frost cotton fabric using 2 tear away stablizers and I had puckers
around the tops of the designs. I used two different designs and both had
puckers at the top. Could someone please tell me what I did wrong? I thought
using 2 tearaway sheets would have prevented this.

ann, who is just happy to have the bag done finally
wishing Santi and her crew would come back to Stockbridge,Ga

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
WWW.HATCHEDEMBFUN.COM  The new site for redwork/colorwork designs!

SIGN UP FOR AllSorts List by sending an email to:  allsortsdesigns-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

SIGN UP FOR the HIA Special Events List to see Event photos, send an email to HIASpecialEvents-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
TO VIEW PHOTOS:   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HIASpecialEvents/

Click here to go to the main page:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HatchedDesignForum/

List MODERATORS: Alice,Cheryl,Elaine, Elta Kay (EK), Erica , Martha, Pat, Sue

List MODERATORS: Please contact the moderators at:
hatcheddesignforum-owner@yahoogroups.com

Hatched in Africa - http://www.hatchedinafrica.com
All Sorts -  http://www.allsortsembdesigns.com
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment